Additional Needs Support
At Fairthorne Manor, we are able to provide specialist care and support to enable children with a range of additional support needs or disabilities access to our mainstream schemes.
Our belief and mission is that everyone should be provided the same exciting and active opportunities in a caring, welcoming way. We aim to inspire each child by listening and supporting them and continually believe that each visitor provides us with an opportunity to be inspired too.
What can children and young people do?
With funding from Hampshire County Council’s Short Breaks programme we are pleased to offer support for weekday Daycamps throughout the school holidays for children and young people aged 4-16 years.
Levels of support
We have various levels of support:
- Volunteer buddy – for moderate support needs, we will provide an additional adult for your child’s activity group to provide support if required. This is not 1:1 care, but provides support both for your child, the other children in the group and the group leader who is responsible for the rest of the group.
- 1:1 buddy – for more severe support needs, we can provide a 1:1 carer
Children can attend our mainstream Multi-activity Daycamps, which run throughout every school holiday. Children aged 4-16 can enjoy a range of age appropriate outdoor activities. Visit our Daycamps page for further information. All children with additional needs are welcome, but those who hold a Hampshire gateway card qualify for subsidised places. Please see funding tab for further details.
|Daycamp period||Dates||Daycamp themes||Booking rules|
|Whitsun||30th May to 2nd June||Multi-activity||Book by the day|
|Summer Holidays||26th July to 1st September||Multi-activity||Book by the week|
|October||23rd to 27th October||Multi-activity||Book by the day|
Gateway Card Holders
Following successful schemes since 2011, YMCA Fairthorne Manor has been awarded Short Breaks funding from Hampshire County Council until the end of March 2018 to provide children from Hampshire the opportunity to access our Daycamps and supported volunteering with a free of charge buddy.
A Gateway card is a free card to enable access to activities, play schemes and buddy schemes for children with disabilities with the following criteria:
- a disability and/or additional needs and may require support to participate in leisure and recreation activities
- are between 0 to 19 years old (but please note our Daycamp programme has a maximum age limit of 16 at time of camp)
- live in Hampshire and/or attend a school in Hampshire (excluding Portsmouth, Southampton and the Isle of Wight as they have similar schemes).
- For further details or to apply for a Gateway card visit the Hampshire Gateway website
How to make a booking
- To book your child onto one of our Daycamps or supported volunteering opportunities please contact the sales team on 01489 785 228. Please note spaces are limited, so please contact us well in advance of the Daycamp required.
- If your child is new to Fairthorne Manor Daycamps or has not attended in the past 12 months, we will ask you to complete a Personal Profile Form to ensure we fully understand your child’s needs and to put the correct support in place.
- Once we receive the completed form, we will assess the needs and contact you to confirm the support and the booking for your child.
If you would like to arrange a time to visit the site and view the facilities, please contact us on 01489 785228.
|Parent location||Daycamp price||Supported volunteering price||Price of 1:1 support|
|Hampshire parent with a Gateway Card||£30/day||£0||£0|
Fairthorne Manor is located a short 10 minute drive from Junctions 7 and 10 of the M27, approximately 1 mile from the village of Botley near Hedge End. The full postal address is:
Fairthorne Manor, Curdridge, Southampton SO30 2GH
Children coming on our Daycamps should come prepared to be outside whatever the weather. We are an outdoor centre, so if your child is on one of our Multi-activity Camps they will get muddy and dirty! The vast majority of the activities on our Multi-activity Camps and some activities on our Themed Camps are outside, so please ensure you send your child with clothing appropriate for all weathers.
Children attending Daycamps should bring the following:
- Packed lunch and a drink (refillable bottle as we have plenty of water points around site) or add a packed lunch to your booking
- Snacks for breaks in the day
- Warm clothing (Jacket, jumpers, t-shirts)
- Shoes that can/will get wet
- Towel (warm showers and changing facilities are available)
- Spare clothes (a complete set including pants!)
- Spare shoes to travel home in
- Plastic bag (to put wet clothes in)
- Optional tuck money (in a labelled money bag or purse)
Please do not send your child with flip flops or crocs, mobile phones, electronic equipment or other items of value as we cannot be held responsible for them.
‘Thank you for your help with getting Cole into some day camps this past half term. Yvette was so incredibly helpful and Cole had a wonderful time.
Whoever recruits at Fairthorne is clearly doing an incredible job – I’ve not yet been disappointed even once in the past 4 years’
‘This scheme has helped both our boys in gaining confidence’
‘Emily has come home everyday happy’
‘It allows Rose to be in a mainstream environment’
‘His social skills have improved and he has done activities he would never try to do before’