Fairthorne Manor is the ideal residential camp location, providing the perfect opportunity for children and young people aged 8 – 16 years to have fun and adventure in a safe and caring environment.
Our different camp themes across a wide range of interests mean we have a camp for everyone, whatever your child’s interest.
There’s also camps for the family at our Family Festivals over the summer Bank Holiday weekends, enabling parents the chance to join in with the fun.
Aged 16-19 years and still want to experience some of the Fairthorne Manor Magic? See our Global Youth Leader page.
What’s included in a residential camp?
All residential camps include the following:
- full programme of activities throughout the day and evening (see our sample programme). Programmes follow our Daycamp themes, including multi-activity, survival, CSI, water and more!
- accommodation (indoors at Easter, camping in the summer)
- healthy, balanced, home cooked meals
- fully qualified, conscientious staff available 24 hours a day
We’ll make sure your child spends their time at Fairthorne Manor learning new skills, building friendships, improving confidence and of course, having fun!
Pick up and drop off
- 5 night camps: drop your child off between 3:30-4:30pm on Sunday and collect them between 3:30-4:30pm on Friday
- Big Weekend – drop your child off between 4:00-5:00pm on Friday and collect them between 3:00-4:00pm on Sunday
We’ve made exciting improvements including:
- extra activities in the evening, offering children on a particular themed camp to try something different
- creating age specific camping zones within our residential camp area
Peace of mind
For many children, one of our camps is their first holiday away from home and it is perfectly natural for both parents and children to be anxious. We hope the information contained here will help to reassure you, but if you have any concerns, please call us on 01489 785228 or attend on one of our information events.
For further information on what your child needs to bring to residential camps, please see our What to Bring page.
Our social spaces
Keep up to date with our latest news by sharing our social spaces:
Through membership of the YMCA Community, you will have the chance to feel a greater sense of ownership and belonging, as well as enjoying exclusive member events, discounts and early booking discounts. For more information visit our Membership page.
Choice of Residential Camps
Our residential camps vary in length depending on the time of year or week, age of young person or camp content.
- 1 night – sleepover offered every school holiday for those children in year 3 or over (or for the summer holidays, those children starting year 3 in September) – just add to your Daycamp booking.
- 2 nights – in the summer holidays, we offer Big Weekend mini-breaks from a Friday to a Sunday for those children who want to perhaps try a shorter stay before committing to a longer residential camp or those wanting to join two 5 night camps together to make a longer stay.
- 5 nights – the majority of our residential camps operate from a Sunday to Friday, but during Bank Holiday weeks this is amended to 4 night camps.
Residential Camp dates & prices
Residential Camps are offered in some Easter weeks and during the main summer holidays. For details on dates, prices and booking, see our Dates & Prices page. Programmes follow our Daycamp themes, including multi-activity, survival, CSI, water and more!
During the Easter holiday residential camps, children sleep in bunk-bedded dormitory style indoor accommodation. At summer residential camps, children sleep in YMCA tents in one of our residential camp tent village in large 6 – 8 person frame tents with wooden floors. Camp leaders sleep in tents adjacent to the children’s and are available throughout the night to offer assistance if required.
We pride ourselves on the fact that all of our staff are:
- selected for their patience, understanding and conscientious approach to caring for children and young people
- enhancing the time your child spends at Fairthorne with their enthusiasm, commitment and passion for fun
- checked by the Criminal Records Bureau
- reference checked to ensure their suitability for our centre and working with children and young people
- strive to be excellent role models for all children attending camp.
- trained in child protection and first aid
- trained in child and youth engagement skills
We have a number of different themes for our camps and, where appropriate, are covered by the relevant governing bodies:
- Adventurous Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) : water-sports, including bell boating, raft building, kayaking, open canoeing and sailing. Licence details can be confirmed by calling The Licensing Service on 029 2075 5715.
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA) – recognised as a training centre to provide instruction for dinghy and powerboat courses.
- British Canoe Union (BCU) qualified instructors delivering kayaking, canoeing and bell boating.
You can contact us in a number of ways:
Telephone: 01489 785228
In person: our Reception is open 8.30am-5pm Monday to Friday.
During each Daycamp period, if you have any concerns regarding your child, our Welfare Officer can be contacted on 0791 4597630.
Booking one of our camps couldn’t be easier:
- Book residential camps online
- Call us on 01489 785228 and book over the telephone
- Visit us in person – our reception is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am-5pm.
We offer a variety of ways to pay:
- Credit/debit card
- Cheque (if completing a hard copy booking form or in person)
- Cash (in person)
- Childcare vouchers – if booking online, we ask you to pay in full at the time of booking using a credit or debit card and will refund this payment once we have received your childcare vouchers.
- Childcare vouchers – if booking by telephone, we make a provisional booking and ask you to send the vouchers to us with your child’s name listed on the payment. Once the vouchers are received, your booking is confirmed and a confirmation sent. Please note that bookings are only confirmed once payment has been received. Childcare vouchers will only be refunded for eligible services that have been delivered within 6 months of receipt of a customers voucher. See a list of accepted childcare vouchers.
Our booking conditions are available as a Booking Conditions; please contact us if you would prefer a hard copy.