Children’s Community Health Service
YMCA Children’s Community Health Service (YCCHS) provides free support to children and young people with life limiting or life threatening conditions as well as support to their family members.
An NHS funded service, our aim is to enable people to cope with the impact of disease or physical health conditions and to help children, young people and their families to have improved quality of life and good mental health wherever possible.
How we can support you
Support can be offered in the following ways:
- We can work with your nursing and medical team to meet your needs and allow you to be as pain free and comfortable as possible.
- We can talk with you about your concerns or worries and give you a safe and confidential place to be honest about your condition or your prognosis and about your thoughts and feelings.
- We can meet with your family members, carers or those closest to you to discuss the best way to support you and the people that are important to you.
- We can be available to support you for a long period and at every stage of your illness or condition.
We can help you to look at a whole range of emotions that you might experience such as:
- Feeling pretty much normal
- Missing family members if you are in hospital, or missing family members who are in hospital
- Feeling worried about, ‘What next?’
- Feeling angry, guilty or confused
- Wondering if anyone else understands what it’s like for you
How to get support
If you feel you would benefit from our help, please arrange a referral via the Children’s Community Nursing Team.
Where to visit us
We are based at YMCA Winchester House in Shanklin and can be accessed by the numbers 2, 3 and 8 Vectis Buses, with the number 3 dropping you right to our door. We can visit you at home, regularly visit children and young people on the Children’s Ward at St Mary’s Hospital, can arrange appointments around school hours for GCSE, A level or college students and can be available at other centres. We are open Monday to Friday from 9:00 am. until 5:00 p.m.
For further information, contact us now on 01983 861072 or firstname.lastname@example.org.