Located in a fantastic setting on the cliff top and conveniently accessible from Sandown Road, YMCA Nursery Shanklin delivers a high standard of flexible child care for children aged 4 months to 5 years.
The nursery boasts plenty of indoor and outdoor space, with large playrooms and plenty of exciting play equipment suitable for different age groups. All children have daily access to a large secure garden which focuses on providing a natural environment to explore with trees, puddles and bugs. Our experienced and highly trained staff team understand the importance of care, play-based learning, healthy eating and time spent playing outside. The nursery takes advantage of its unique setting to ensure all children experience different environments on our beautiful island, including frequent trips to local parks and the beach.
YMCA Nursery Shanklin is committed to supporting the local community on the Isle of Wight and offers discounted childcare for NHS and local authority employees (IOW NHS PCT and IOW Council employees receive a 2% discount on session fees).
Shanklin Baby & Toddler Group
The nursery is also the perfect setting for its weekly Baby & Toddler Group, which offers parents / carers and children (0-3 years) some fantastic indoor and outdoor activities, such as messy play, stories & songs, soft play, ball pool, sensory play and outdoor fun in the lovely secure garden.
Keep up to date with all our latest news by following and sharing us with your friends and family:
Through membership of the YMCA Community, you will have the chance to feel a greater sense of ownership and belonging, as well as enjoying exclusive member events, discounts and early booking discounts. For more information visit our Membership page.
Monday to Friday 0730-1800 for 51 weeks of the year.
Caterpillar Room (4 months -24 months)
- Designated key person responsible for your child’s daily routine and care needs
- Flexible daily routine to allow for children’s individual care plans outlined by parents
- A wide variety of sensory and exploratory activities and experiences
- Access to various resources including jigsaws and sorting and musical toys
- Imaginative play using the using the doll’s house, animals, cars and trains.
- The Creative Room for messy activities such as painting, jelly play, play dough, sand and water.
- Free-flow access to the secure garden for mobile children, designated outdoor play time for younger babies.
- Treasure baskets and heuristic play to explore everyday household items rather than commercial toys
- Age and development specific activities in smaller groups
The upper age limit for this group is 24 months, which is a guide only and dependant on each child’s development.
Sunflower room (24 months-60 months)
- Two spacious open-plan play rooms developed into interest areas to enable children to locate the resources they wish to play with.
- A bright and stimulating environment providing opportunities for children to develop, make their own decisions and choose from a variety of activities.
- Children are encouraged to be independent, care for one another and feel confident to make informed choices about their nursery day.
- Help to progress through the potty training stage, working with you to support your child.
- Children can freely access a full range of activities, including construction, small world and messy play, computers, role play and the great outdoors.
- A designated key person, planning activities based on your children’s interests and stage of development.
- EYFS approach to learning through the medium of “play”,
- Hands-on activities, allowing allowing scope for individual exploration.
- Explore materials alongside others, enabling them to share ideas and gain valuable social and language skills with their peers.
- Helping your child prepare for school.
- Opportunities for quiet time and designated song and story time.
- Circle time – an opportunity to talk in small groups about activities interests inside and outside of the setting.
- Opportunities for parents to be involved with activities including reading stories with children, showing skills (e.g baking), and sharing photographs and stories from family activities for the children to talk about their experiences with their friends.
- Large enclosed garden including woodland area, with free flow access for most of the day.
- A fantastic natural environment to discover, develop and create adventures where children can learn to problem solve, take calculated risks, make decisions and enjoy the outdoor environment.
- Utilising our excellent outdoor facilities, children are encouraged to investigate and use their imaginations to the full. Our grounds present opportunities to explore and offer something new and amazing to see and learn.
- Activities include making dens, planting seeds, digging for mini beasts, nature walks, bear hunts and woodland adventures. As well as mark making, stories and singing opportunities being provided.
- Going for walks in the local environment, visiting the nearby beaches and parks.
Peace of mind
As with all our nurseries, YMCA Nursery Shanklin is Ofsted registered (latest report Ofsted Reg: EY 337340) and has a dedicated, well-trained staff team. All staff undergo an enhanced DBS disclosure before commencing employment.
A hot lunch and healthy mid-morning and afternoon snacks are provided freshly cooked by our own dedicated catering team. All meals and snack times are fun and sociable and can meet your child’s individual dietary requirements.
Menus are on a 4 week rota, click below to see the delicious meals provided at YMCA Nursery Shanklin.
Here is a PDF version of all four menus.
Telephone: 01983 861073
Our postal address is: YMCA Nursery Shanklin, Winchester House, Shanklin, Isle of Wight PO37 6HT
We are here on the Isle of Wight:
Click the photo to see more
Feedback from our customers is very important to us as we seek to improve the service we offer. Here are some recent comments from our parents:
‘The staff are caring, hardworking and the environment is brilliant. Highly recommend.’
‘All staff are a wonderful group, and we as a family felt so cared for.’
‘Our daughter has attended Winchester House since 1 year old, until she was 4. We have always found the staff to be professional, caring and friendly. They have helped her develop into the little girl we are so proud of. The facilities are good with an exceptional outside setting.’
‘Lovely staff who go the extra mile for you and the children.’
‘We are so happy with YMCA Winchester House. The communication we receive regarding our son is excellent, and I always get a very detailed rundown of my son’s activities, mood, food and toileting each time he comes in via his key person / buddy. I am very impressed and would highly recommend this nursery.’
‘If you are a parent looking for a more traditional nursery set up with lots of interaction opportunity for play and a location and site second to none then Winchester House has it!…your staff are lovely, so polite (in a genuine way) and very helpful, respectful and happy!.’ Frankie Gray
‘My two sons have been attending YMCA Winchester House for nearly 2 years. During this time, my family has gone through some very difficult times, and having a loving and caring environment for my children was paramount to their continued happiness. The staff at Winchester House are wonderful, helped me to provide the best care for the children in spite of everything going on around them, and have helped both of my boys develop to the best of their ability. I cannot recommend it more highly.‘ Caroline Wood
‘For me as a parent, an important aspect is the ease of contact with Liliana’s key person and other members of the team; parents evening is good to check on the progress on my child’s development. For Liliana one of the best things is the story corner where she can explore new books as she is a book lover. She also likes art and craft activities and the big, safe garden.’ Dominika Slotainska-Galara
Call us to arrange a visit
We are very proud of our nursery and would love to show you round. To arrange a visit, please contact us on 01983 862441, or feel free to pop in if you are passing.
Our current fees reflect our excellent care. After your visit, if you decide that you would like your child to join the nursery, you will be asked to complete our Registration Pack and Enrolment Pack, and to read and sign our nursery Terms and Conditions.
Free Pre-School Sessions
Each child in the UK is entitled to 15 hours of free pre-school sessions per week effective from the term after their 3rd birthday. Please contact us if you require further information regarding this.
See what we get up to in our September 2016 newsletter.
Keep up to date with nursery events and whats on by following us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.
|Dates for 2016||Event||Who its for?|
|Tuesday 14th February, 10.00am-11.30am||Valentine’s Day
Decorating Flower Pots
|All welcome, bring along your family & friends.|
|Tuesday 14th February ,2.30pm-3.30pm||Valentine’s Day Garden Workshop||All welcome, bring along your family & friends.|
|Wednesday 1st March,2.30pm-3.30pm||St. David’s Day Making Dragons and Daffodils||All welcome, bring along your family & friends.|
|Friday 24th March,12.00pm-1.00pm||Mother’s Day Lunch||All welcome, bring along your family & friends – booking essential for this.|
We want to work in partnership with parents and carers, and it is important that we are open about what we do and why. Therefore, our childcare procedures are accessible to all.
These may answer some of the questions you might have about us, and how we work, day to day. If you have any queries on any of these procedures, please do not hesitate to contact us.