After School Club
The YMCA has been delivering the Portsmouth after school club since 1996, providing quality care for children and a valuable service to parents.
Our after school club at Portsmouth Grammar School provides an exciting and active environment for pupils of the school, delivered by our experienced welcoming and caring staff team. In October 2015, we were thrilled to be awarded an Outstanding grade by Ofsted, with comments including:
- Excellent leadership team ensures there is a great level of competence among the highly qualified staff team
- Safeguarding children is at the heart of everything the staff do.
- the skilled staff deliver an exciting range of well planned play experiences
The club is primarily for children aged 4-11 years in the Junior School, although in special circumstances the club can cater for children from the Senior School.
When does it run?
Every day during term-time from 3:20-6:00pm. On selected days when the school closes early the club’s opening hours are extended. We also run full day care to cover inset and independent school holidays. Check out our first half Autumn term programme.
The club is based in the Lower Junior School Hall of the Portsmouth Grammar school.
What will children achieve?
- Choose their own play opportunities according to their interests
- Opportunity to mix, socialise and engage with a group of other children
- Take part in games and activities to further their physical, emotional, cognitive and creative development
- Opportunity to try new experiences and skills
- Interaction with excellent adult role models
- Become part of a welcoming and friendly club environment
How much does it cost?
Sessions are £9.50 per child or £9.00 per child if booked in advance of each term commencing – YMCA members receive a 10% discount.
If you would like further information, a tour of our premises and meet some of our staff, please contact us on PGS@ymca-fg.org or contact Chelsey Croucher on 07824 809390 or Rob Allman on 07789 483709.
Our social spaces
Follow us for our latest news and share us with your friends.
Through membership of the YMCA Community, you will have the chance to feel a greater sense of ownership and belonging, as well as enjoying exclusive member events, discounts and early booking discounts. For more information visit our Membership page.
All of our work with children under 8 years old is registered and inspected by Ofsted (latest report Registration 149057). We also have the following measures in place:
- All staff hold an enhanced DBS disclosure
- A high proportion of staff are First Aid trained and have a full and relevant level 3 childcare qualification
- Staff receive regular training around Safeguarding, Child Protection and other relevant areas
- The ratio of staff to children is 1:12 at the After School Club, however during off-site trips and outings we will always endeavour to reduce the ratio of children to adults as much as possible
- Robust behaviour management procedures
What will they be doing?
- The club provides a safe and secure environment in which children can play, selecting from the various sensory, quiet, craft and physical resources as well as providing them with an additional, structured activity each day
- There is the opportunity to undertake homework
- A freshly prepared healthy snack is provided each day
- Staff are available to support the children at all times and provide and maintain an excellent link with parents and carers by building strong, open relationships
The team have an excellent relationship with the school’s Foundation Stage Manager, enabling the club to deliver the EYFS to a high standard and provide a constant link between school and after school children.
For general information regarding the club, contact Rob Allman on 07789 483709 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the club directly during operating hours, contact Chelsey Croucher on 07824 809390.
Booking for the after school club couldn’t be easier:
- Call us on 07824809390 and book over the telephone or indicate on the registration form your preferred regular days required
We offer a variety of ways to pay:
- Direct Debit
- Childcare vouchers – Childcare vouchers will only be refunded for eligible services that have been delivered within 6 months of receipt of a customers voucher. See a list of accepted childcare voucher providers.