School & Group Accommodation
Winchester House offers full and half board accommodation for visitors to the beautiful and versatile Isle of Wight, hosting a variety of groups:
- Church groups
- Community groups
- Youth groups
- Language schools
- Counselling & special interest groups
- Overseas groups
- Sporting groups – please note our house rules for sporting groups.
Why you should choose Winchester House for your trip
There are many reasons for selecting the YMCA for your school and group trip:
- location – stunning cliff top location overlooking Hope Bay, midway between Sandown and Shanklin, and within easy reach of the island’s main attractions
- transport links – a short drive from the ferry ports, and convenient for train and bus links
- reduced ferry travel – we offer discounted car and coach ferry travel with Wightlink and Red Funnel. Call us on 01489 785228 for more details.
- accommodation – 3 wings in the main house accommodating up to 113 guests in comfortable bunk bed style rooms
- catering – healthy and nutritious full board service, catering for all dietary needs
- lounges – some wings with their own private lounges, with other rooms also available for hire
- flexibility – visits from just one night
- our staff – friendly, approachable, versatile. In 2015, we received the highest feedback scores worldwide for EF Language Schools.
- activities – a range of on-site self led activities
- great value – opportunities at affordable prices
- year round service – we are open throughout the year
- parking – plentiful free, on-site parking including coaches.
Our experience means we understand the amount of organisation required for a perfect school and group trip on your part, so we are here to assist you in planning your visit.
Winchester House is located on the south east coast of the island between the popular holiday destinations of Sandown and Shanklin and within easy reach of all the island’s attractions. The House is accessible by train, bus and road.
To contact us call 01983 862 441 or email email@example.com
Full and half board accommodation
Winchester House is graded as 3* group hostel style school and group accommodation and sleeps between 20 – 113 in a mixture of bunk-bedded, twin and single rooms, split into three wings, which can be separated with security coded doors. The accommodation is located on the first floor of the building with the ground floor occupied by a children’s day nursery, function rooms and YMCA offices.
The Veranda and North Wings are equipped with comfortable, private lounges. Limited additional rooms are available for classroom or other sessions.
All groups staying at Winchester House benefit from the full or half board provision (sample menu).
A gem of an island, and so easy to get to:
Winchester House is located on the clifftop between the seaside towns of Shanklin and Sandown, overlooking Hope Bay providing the perfect setting for school and group accommodation.
- On foot – the clifftop path beside the property is a 15 minute walk from Shanklin town centre and 20 minute stroll to Sandown. Directly outside the rear of the house is a walkway and steps leading down to the beach, ideal for an early morning stroll (not suitable for pushchairs or wheelchairs).
- By bus – there is a bus stop directly outside the front of the grounds which is on the main island bus circuit operated by Southern Vectis.
- By train – Lake train station is just a 15 minute walk from the house; the island has a train line operating from Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin which stops at Lake twice every hour. If you are travelling on the mainland by train, you can purchase a ticket directly to Lake station which will include a Fast Jet boat journey from Portsmouth harbour to Ryde Pier Head. For more information visit South West Trains.
- By road – the Isle of Wight is accessible via ferry from a number of ports – Wightlink operate vehicle ferry services from Portsmouth to Fishbourne, and from Lymington to Yarmouth, plus a foot passenger service from Portsmouth to Ryde. Red Funnel operate a vehicle ferry from Southampton to East Cowes and a foot passenger service from Southampton to Cowes. Hovertravel also provide a foot passenger service from Southsea to Ryde.
- Please note, YMCA guests receive discounts on car and coach travel on vehicle ferry crossings with Wightlink and Red Funnel. Please ask us for more details.
As children’s charity, we endeavour to keep our prices competitive to ensure as many groups can access our services as possible. Any surpluses generated are reinvested to help deliver the various services we offer children and young people across the south. See our 2017 price list.
- All prices include full bed linen (groups can reduce the cost of their visit by making their own beds, a saving of £2 per person per visit) and VAT.
- Full board school and group accomodation rates include first meal as dinner on the arrival day, with the last meal breakfast on departure day; further meals such as lunch on the day of departure can be included at an additional cost.
- Half board rates include first meal as dinner on day of arrival and last meal as breakfast on day of departure. No lunches are included in this rate.
- Adult rates listed in the group prices are for adults accompanying child or youth groups; for adult only groups, please see our adult section.
Booking school and group accommodation is simple and we are available to help you every step of the way:
- Contact us to discuss your requirements.
- Check your required dates are available, discuss the options and arrange a visit to our site if required.
- Make a provisional booking, which we can hold for 14 days without charge.
- Gather levels of interest from your potential group.
- Complete a booking form (our booking conditions are attached) and return with a deposit – we can invoice for deposits if required.
- We’ll send you confirmation of your booking and further information which will ensure your stay is successful.
- We’ll ask you for your final numbers 8 weeks prior to the visit and expect you to settle the balance 4 weeks before arrival.
- Download a booking form here
To contact the House, call 01983 862441; for sales enquiries, call us on 01983 862 441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have made a booking with us, we will send you further information and forms that need to be completed in advance of your visit. A selection of this information is listed below:
Our groups information pack includes general information regarding the property, insurance, risk assessments, a sample menu, catering sheet and a suggested kit list.
Our Access Statement provides detailed information on accessibility in and around Winchester House, including floor plans.
YMCA Fairthorne Group policies are accessible to all, including our Health and Safety Policy Statement, and Safeguarding policy.
To find out more, and to read through our level 1 policies, please see our Policies page.